Saturday, August 18, 2012

Boot to Head Records Ad, circa 1998 or so featuring VERANDERUNG.


Thanks to Kyle for sending this over.  Lots of good stuff here.  I suppose Boot to Head would fall under the category of SubSubSub, inasmuch as they were putting out obscure hardcore and punk records in a Christian market in relative obscurity (as compared to Tooth and Nail, for example).  I was surprised to learn that, at least according to the website, they're still "keeping on." 

I had all but the Shorthanded record, once upon a time, but the real gem here, as far as I'm concerned, is Veranderung (German for "change").  How many Christian crustcore bands can you name?  How many times do you think Christian bands have ever been compared to the mighty Los Crudos?  Who ever thought the word Assuck would make it into an ad for a Christian record?  The hardcore scene of the nineties was diverse, but you wouldn't necessarily know it listening to Christian bands (the topic of a long-form piece I'm working on for this very blog) which is why this record was so refreshing.

Veranderung was pretty much Jim from Clay playing short brutal songs that I think he maybe recorded as a solo studio project, later adding a live band.  Maybe I'm biased because I hung out with Jim a bunch one year at Cornerstone and he and I were pen pals for a time, but this record is still in my collection so many years later, and at this point, that's really saying something.

Look for more on Blaster and Ceasefire at a later date, and maybe Boot to Head while we're at it, but in the meantime, keep these scans coming!  Oh, and you can listen to a track from the Veranderung 7" here.  If anybody's got a link to the whole record, please say so in the comments section below.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty cool to see a blog post about this. I used to be in Clay with Jim.

    ReplyDelete